Friday, May 11, 2007

comings and goings

I am waiting rather impatiently to get a date to sit for my boards-- I am completely unworried about the test itself, it is just taking the goddamned thing that is the trick. In the mean time, I am doing post-grad herbal studies on Thursday nights, and G.A. assistant teaching on Saturdays, which is fairly fun. Definitely looking forward to getting started-- we need at least one income at this point.

Here is good stuff to read, watch, etc.:

"A Fighter's Heart" by Sam Sheridan. This book chronicles a twenty something guy's journey through various pro fighting training, including muay thai in Thailand, MMA fighting with some famous trainer in Iowa, boxing training, taiji with one of the great masters, and finally, bare knuckle boxing in Burma. The whole time, he remains sort of on the outside of everything, a writer tagging along with great fighters who let him play their game a little. This is a good book, if you like fighting. If you don't, it will bore you.

"Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science" by Atul Gawande. This book was completely and utterly readable, filled with interesting and occasionally fucked up situations in the operating room. I dig on medical stuff (House and Grey's Anatomy are the only two shows on TV that I watch) but I think virtually anyone could find this book fascinating.

As far as movies go...

I saw Spiderman 3, which was both fun to watch and completely gay at the same time. The special effects were cool, but over all, I hate Tobey Maguire, the pretty boy who plays his best friend, and Kirsten Dunst wins the hot body/busted face award, but that isn't enough to win me over.

"300" was also simultaneously badass and gay. If you like watching crazy shredded, half naked guys ripping each other to pieces (put your dick back in your pants, Mike, this isn't a J-Crew catolog), then you might get off on this.

"Notes on a Scandal," with Judi Dench and Kate Blanchet was really, really good. You think it is one kind of movie, and it turns out to be way more. Check it out.

"Dreamgirls" bored me enough that I turned it off before it was finished, and I had been drinking and everything, so that says a lot. I get the impression that like "Beloved," this would have been a really good film if I identified with black women in any way, shape, or form.

"Infection" was a Japanese horror film that I caught on cable. It has a bunch of doctors in a hospital dealing with some nasty green stuff. Interesting and creepy until the last 15 minutes, when I got so confused that it pretty much negated all the creepiness before it. I can't say I understood it, I wouldn't pay money for it, but it beat out re-runs of south park for my attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home